Menopause is often looked at as a time of dread, losing femininity and coming face to face with aging. I like to think of it as a time of finding the goddess within. I have personally considered it as a time of self-discovery, feeling comfortable in my own skin, letting go of societal expectations, and truly living the life I was intended to live.
What is menopause? Technically, it’s the biological process that marks the end of fertility. If a woman hasn’t had a menstrual cycle in 12 months, it is safe to say that she has entered menopause. It sounds simple, but for some women, it isn’t always a life phase of rainbows and butterflies. Due to hormonal shifts, many women may experience symptoms during menopause and even prior to menopause. These may include difficulty sleeping, waves of heat/hot flashes, fatigue, night sweats, mood swings, feeling down, and possibly weight gain. It sounds ominous, but not all women will experience them and there are lifestyle habits that can assist such as eating clean, bringing movement to the body, self-care, relaxation, and essential oil (EO) use. In fact, there are a wide range of essential oils that can tame and support the body during this transition. I’m going to provide a look at five that I’ve recommended over the years and have used personally. I can attest to their benefits and hope you find them helpful.
Note: Please use these essential oils externally by applying to the skin and not internally. They can be added to a carrier oil or even a lotion for easy application. To learn more, visit this article on the basics of utilizing essential oils.
- Lavender: This is one of the most recommended essential oils because it has so many benefits including assisting with sleep and promoting relaxation. I add lavender to my shower gel and I've also used it with honey to prevent scarring. It's pretty amazing!
- Clary Sage: This is great for hot flashes and sleep. I like to add it to a sleep concoction I use at night because it also promotes relaxation.
- Geranium: Geranium is one I’ve used for years and smells wonderful! It can assist with improving mood. In fact, one study demonstrated that women who used this EO had improvements in mood after 8 weeks. It’s also great to add a few drops to a bath because it can assist with dry skin.
- Ylang-Ylang: This EO smells wonderful, but I only use a drop or two because it will override other EOs if you’re using a combination of oils. It can promote calm, assist with sleep and be uplifting to the body, mind, and spirit. It has been shown to reduce anxiety and tension and is helpful for combatting low libido which is another common symptom of menopause.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil is one of the most popular essential oils for hot flashes. I’ve used it in a water misting bottle and applied to my arms and legs. It’s also a must when it’s simply hot outside and you want to cool down. I enjoy breathing it in as well to open my sinuses and put me in an energetic mood.
Bonus: If you want to combine efforts, mix a couple of drops each of Clary Sage, Lavender and Ylang Ylang into a diffuser or lotion. This blend helps stabilize cortisol levels while also calming the mind and body.
While menopause may seem a bit overwhelming, it’s simply a phase in life and the symptoms are only temporary. Instead of looking at it with negativity, approach it with open arms, a time of self-reflection, and a period of discovering your inner goddess.