Provides strengthening for arms, back and core while lengthening spine
Side Plank Pose (Sanskrit: Vasisthasana)
- From Plank, place right hand on mat under face. Shift to outside edge of your right foot. Your options for this pose are numerous. Top hand can be on waist or lifted towards sky.
- You can drop bottom knee and lower leg on floor and lengthen top leg with inner foot on mat.
- You may scissor feet so that both feet are on mat with the inside of your left foot on mat behind right making sure to lift hips away from floor.
- You may come into Tree pose with top leg bent and foot on inner thigh or lower leg of supporting leg (not on knee joint). (shown above)
- You may elevate top leg away from supporting leg and allow it to hover in air.
- You may also advance the pose by reaching for the top foot with your top hand while extending that leg at a diagonal towards ceiling.
- Make sure your supporting ankle is stable and not sickling.
- Engage core to keep hips lifted.
- You may make a fist with supporting hand if you have wrist concerns.
- Gaze can be straight ahead or looking up at hand.
- Stay in this pose for 3-5 breaths. Repeat on other side.
Namaste – The light within me honors the grace and wisdom within you.