With all the holiday treats and fixins’, it’s nice to find some healthy options in the mix. These two recipes are as much fun to make as they are to eat. Create them with your children, grandchildren or significant other and enjoy eating them without guilt. Either recipe will make a fun appetizer or a jolly addition to a holiday meal.
Wishing you a happy, peaceful and delicious holiday!These recipes will make a fun appetizer or jolly addition to a #HolidayMeal #saslife Click To Tweet
Winter Wonderland Breakfast Snowmen
Source: Roxy's Kitchen
Serves 12 happy campers!
12 small eggs – hard boiled and carefully peeled
12 extra large/jumbo eggs – hard boiled and carefully peeled
2 large carrots – peeled
2 (1/8th inch) dowel rods cut into 3 ½ inch segments (or use 2 toothpicks per snowman)
- Slice each carrot into 1/8th inch “pennies”.
- Match 1 large “carrot penny” with 1 small “carrot penny” to make the hats.
- Match one jumbo egg with one small egg.
- Carefully slice the top and bottom off both ends of each egg to create flat surfaces so your snowman will stand up.
- Insert one end of a 3 ½” dowel into the large carrot penny, then the small carrot penny.
- Next, insert the opposite end of the dowel into the top of the small egg being careful to thread the small egg onto the dowel. Push the small egg up to the carrot hat.
- Next, thread the large egg onto the dowel, small end first until the large egg meets the short egg.
- Use one of the dowels to make small holes to create eyes, nose and button holes.
- Press black peppercorns into the holes for the eyes and buttons.
- With a knife, cut small carrot triangles and press one into each snowman to make a nose.
Edible Christmas Tree
Outer branches - 3 Granny Smith apples – cut into thin slices (toss in lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown)
Inner branches - 3 – 4 pounds green seedless grapes
Trunk - 1 red delicious apple – cut into thin slices
Trunk - 1 pomegranate of arils/seeds
Ornaments - 1 cup fresh blueberries
Ornaments - 1 cup fresh raspberries
Star topper – Starfruit
Juice of 2 lemons (to toss apples slices in)
- Create the outline of a Christmas tree using the Granny Smith apple slices.
- Fill in the inner branches of the tree with green grapes.
- Decorate the tree with ornaments using raspberries and blueberries.
- Use 2 red delicious apple slices to create the outline for a tree trunk and fill in with pomegranate arils/seeds.
- Add green grapes for grass.
- Top tree with a slice of starfruit.
For another great appetizer during the holidays or anytime, check out this recipe for Holiday Nachos with Homemade Sweet Potato Chips!