I frequently get asked about my favorite book on a particular topic, how to find free SAS learning materials online, how to get help with SAS issues, etc. This lead me to compile a "Great Resources for SAS Programmers" document which I freely share with my students upon request. So I thought I'd share it with you here, too!
Getting Started Resources
Online SAS Support Resources
SAS Online Documentation – always a good start
SAS Online Docs: Choosing the Right Procedure - choosing the appropriate SAS tool
Helpful Documents for PROC SQL
SAS Code Samples and SAS Notes - (SAS Tech Notes come from the SAS Tech Support database!)
SAS Global Forum (SUGI) Proceedings
FAQs About Tech Support
Who can contact SAS Tech Support?
Any licensed SAS user.
What can I expect from SAS Tech Support?
At SAS Technical Support, our mission is to "help our customers make the best use of our software products through effective and responsive support, active advocacy, and a broad and flexible range of self-help resources." In support of this mission, this list of services and policies will help set expectations for your relationship with SAS Technical Support.
How can I contact SAS Tech Support?
- Use the telephone for urgent, business-critical issues: +1 (919) 677-8008
- Use the SAS Tech Support Web Form for all other issues.
What information will I need when contacting SAS Tech Support?
- Your company name and the country in which you are operating
- Your name, e-mail address and phone number
- Site number, operating system and software release (see top of a fresh SAS session’s log)
- SAS product involved (if known)
- Succinct one-line description of the issue (subject line)
- Detailed problem description, including ERROR OR WARNING messages
- A description of any troubleshooting or research you’ve already done
- Copies of your SAS program, SAS log & any other pertinent files. You can upload these when you are describing your problem using the Web Form
Formal SAS Training
SAS Institute provides over 150 classes, including traditional classroom training, on-line “Live Web” training, and on-line self-paced training. See http://support.sas.com/training/us/paths/index.html
Self-Paced SAS Training
SAS Institute provides over 200 hours of self-paced training on a wide variety of subjects.
- Learning SAS by Example, Ron Cody (2007), ISBN: 978-1-59994-165-1
- SAS Functions by Example, Ron Cody (2010), ISBN: 978-1-60764-340-1
- The Little SAS Book: A Primer, Lora Delwiche and Susan Slaughter (2012), ISBN 978-1-59994-725-9
- PROC SQL by Example: Using SQL within SAS, Howard Schreier (2008), ISBN: 978-1-59994-297-1
Enterprise Guide Users:
- SAS For Dummies, Stephen McDaniel & Chris Hemedinger (2010), ISBN: 978-0-470-53968-2
- Basic Statistics Using SAS Enterprise Guide, Geoff Der & Brian Everitt (2007), ISBN:978-1-59994-573-6
- Custom Tasks for SAS Enterprise Guide Using Microsoft .NET (2012), Chris Hemedinger, ISBN: 978-1-60764-678-5
SAS University Edition Users (and SAS Studio users):
An Introduction to SAS University Edition, Ron Cody (2015), ISBN:978-1-62959-770-6
- Cody's Collection of Popular SAS Programming Tasks and How to Tackle Them, Ron Cody (2008), ISBN: 978-1-61290-333-0
- Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language, Art Carpenter (2004), ISBN: 978-1-59047-384-9
- The Essential PROC SQL Handbook for SAS Users, Katherine Prairie (2005), ISBN: 978-1-59047-571-3
- Step-by-Step Programming with Base SAS 9.4, SAS Institute Inc. (2013), ISBN: 978-1-61290-770-3
- Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS REPORT Procedure, Art Carpenter (2007), ISBN: 978-1-59994-195-0
High Performance Programming:
- Mastering the SAS® DS2 Procedure: Advanced Data Wrangling Techniques, Mark Jordan (2016), ISBN:978-1-62959-702-7
- SAS Statistics by Example, Ron Cody (2011), ISBN: 978-1-60764-800-0
- Step-by-Step Basic Statistics Using SAS: Student Guide Larry Hatcher (2003), ISBN: 978-1-59047-148-7
- A Step-by-Step Approach to Using SAS for Univariate and Multivariate Statistics Norm O'Rourke, Larry Hatcher, Edward Stepanski (2005), ISBN: 978-1-59047-417-4
- Statistical Graphics Procedures by Example: Effective Graphs Using SAS, Sanjay Matange and Dan Heath, ISBN: 978-1-60764-762-1
- SAS/GRAPH: Beyond the Basics, Robert Allison, ISBN: 978-1-60764-989-2
I hope you find these resources useful.
Until next time, may the SAS be with you!