I frequently get asked about my favorite book on a particular topic, how to find free SAS learning materials online, how to get help with SAS issues, etc. So I thought I'd share it with you here! Last updated 2/25/2020
Getting Started Resources
Online SAS Support Resources
SAS Online Documentation – always a good start
SAS Online Docs: Choosing the Right Procedure - choosing the appropriate SAS tool
Helpful Documents for PROC SQL
SAS Code Samples and SAS Notes - (SAS Tech Notes come from the SAS Tech Support database!)
SAS Global Forum (SUGI) Proceedings
FAQs About Tech Support
Who can contact SAS Tech Support?
Any licensed SAS user.
What can I expect from SAS Tech Support?
At SAS Technical Support, our mission is to "help our customers make the best use of our software products through effective and responsive support, active advocacy, and a broad and flexible range of self-help resources." In support of this mission, this list of services and policies will help set expectations for your relationship with SAS Technical Support.
How can I contact SAS Tech Support?
- Use the telephone for urgent, business-critical issues: +1 (919) 677-8008
- Use the SAS Tech Support Web Form for all other issues.
What information will I need when contacting SAS Tech Support?
- Your company name and the country in which you are operating
- Your name, e-mail address and phone number
- Site number, operating system and software release (see top of a fresh SAS session’s log)
- SAS product involved (if known)
- A succinct one-line description of the issue (subject line)
- Detailed problem description, including ERROR OR WARNING messages
- A description of any troubleshooting or research you’ve already done
- Copies of your SAS program, SAS log & any other pertinent files. You can upload these when you are describing your problem using the Web Form
Formal SAS Training
SAS Institute provides over 150 classes, including traditional classroom training, on-line “Live Web” training, and online self-paced training.
Self-Paced SAS Training
SAS Institute provides over 200 hours of self-paced training on a wide variety of subjects.
- SAS Functions by Example, Second Edition, Ron Cody (2010), ISBN: 978-1-60764-340-1
- The Little SAS Book: A Primer, Lora Delwiche and Susan Slaughter (2019)
- PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS®, Third Edition, Kirk Paul Lafler
- PROC SQL by Example: Using SQL within SAS, Howard Schreier (2008)
Enterprise Guide Users:
- The Little SAS® Enterprise Guide® Book (2017) Susan J. Slaughter & Lora D. Delwiche
- Basic Statistics Using SAS Enterprise Guide, Geoff Der & Brian Everitt (2007)
- Custom Tasks for SAS Enterprise Guide Using Microsoft .NET (2012), Chris Hemedinger, ISBN: 978-1-60764-678-5
SAS OnDemand for Academics:
- Getting Started with SAS Programming: Using SAS Studio in the Cloud and A Gentle Introduction to Statistics Using SAS Studio in the Cloud, Ron Cody (2021), ISBN-13: 978-1953329165 and ISBN-13: 978-1954844452, respectively
- Cody's Collection of Popular SAS Programming Tasks and How to Tackle Them, Ron Cody (2008)
- Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language, Art Carpenter (2004)
- Step-by-Step Programming with Base SAS 9.4, SAS Institute Inc. (2013)
- Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS REPORT Procedure, Art Carpenter (2007)
High Performance Programming:
- Mastering the SAS® DS2 Procedure: Advanced Data Wrangling Techniques, Second Edition (2016) Mark Jordan
- SAS Statistics by Example, Ron Cody (2011)
- Step-by-Step Basic Statistics Using SAS: Student Guide Larry Hatcher (2003)
- A Step-by-Step Approach to Using SAS for Univariate and Multivariate Statistics Norm O'Rourke, Larry Hatcher, Edward Stepanski (2005)
- Statistical Graphics Procedures by Example: Effective Graphs Using SAS, Sanjay Matange and Dan Heath
- SAS/GRAPH: Beyond the Basics, Robert Allison
I hope you find these resources useful.
Until next time, may the SAS be with you!