Written by RFC Staff.
Known for their fancy turns and agility, Recreation and Fitness Center (RFC) staff innovatively support SAS employee health with fitness, wellness, and recreation programs. We pride ourselves on being part of SAS's wellness team inspiring and empowering those who inspire and empower with the most trusted analytics. This year was no different...ok, so maybe a little different. Outfitted with laptops on March 17, 2020 we closed the RFC doors as "stay at home" orders were in place and work from home (WFH) began. Once again our staff used their agility to pivot, but this time in a whole different direction - hello virtual wellness! During this last year, we're proud of how innovative our team has been in supporting SAS employees to help them stay healthy, active, fit, and well from home.
Here’s a snapshot of what the last year looked like for the SAS Recreation and Fitness Center:
March 17, 2020 – Work from home (WFH) began and the RFC turned to Yammer to post workouts, videos, discounts and so much more to keep employees and their families engaged; including Stronger Together - Making a Difference, a series designed to encourage support of community and local businesses.
- March 27, 2020 - We adapted our Healthy Lifestyles incentive program to encourage staying active and involved while working from home with 347 participants.
- April 2020 - Virtual team building quickly became a reality and we ended up offering more programs than ever before, impacting 789 SAS employees around the world.
April 30, 2020 - We debuted our first live steamed yoga class and on May 14, 2020 our regular live streamed group fitness class schedule was born. Our production skills and class offerings grew from 2 regular classes per week to 6 including yoga, strength training, and cardio along with registration-based series like Beginner Yoga, Dance, Pilates, and Winter Conditioning for Athletes.
- May 2020 – We celebrated our first Virtual Global Employee Health and Fitness Month with over 161 employees and family members participating in a 5k or 20-mile challenge.
- June 22 – 26, 2020 – Employees and their families across the globe crushed the SAS to SAS Challenge. They swam, biked, walked, danced, or ran a collective total of 3582 miles, 752 more than we needed to virtually travel from our Cary, NC HQ office to the San Francisco office in just one week!
- Sept. 1, 2020 – The RFC Video Gallery was born and became a one-stop shop for group exercise, yoga, meditation and craft classes. This on-demand library is accessible employees and retirees and to date includes 295 videos with 10,000+ video views in over 30 countries.
- Oct. 12 - Dec. 18, 2020 – The RFC re-opened its doors and welcomed back over 300 participants for in-person recreation and fitness. A reservation system allowed participants to sign up for cardio and weight equipment, lap swimming and outdoor sports. Zero Covid-related exposures were reported at the RFC during this time.
- Dec. 21, 2020 – The RFC had a stellar opening with no exposure incidents. However, out of an abundance of caution, with local Covid numbers on the rise, the RFC closed for in-person activities and WFH part 2 began.
Where We Are Now
Back at home once again, the RFC staff offer our most popular programs as well as new ones online to meet the needs of SAS employees working from home. Each month, new challenges, programs and classes reach employees around the globe. We dearly miss seeing our participants in person at the RFC. At the same time, we've found joy in connecting globally with employees through virtual wellness seminars, fitness classes, training sessions, and fitness breaks as well as recreation challenges, children’s dance classes and family team building. There is truly something for everyone! Visit the RFC Newsletter, RFC Yammer pages, or reach out to your personal trainer to find programs to help you stay well while working from home.
Where We’re Going
With local Covid numbers on the decline and vaccine rollouts, we are hopeful that the RFC will be able to re-open again soon. In the meantime, employees, retirees, and family are invited to stay connected, healthy, and well by participating in RFC programs. The RFC Newsletter is only a click away!