I recently heard morning radio DJs talking about things people would never want to receive as holiday gifts. One of the categories they mentioned was kitchen appliances. Giving kitchen tools and appliances as gifts may be frowned upon by some but for the foodies in your family, culinary utensils can stir squeals of joy.
Kitchen gadgets come and go (remember all of those Ronco® commercials?) but every once in a while an invention surfaces that becomes your prized possession.
Here are a few of my favorite kitchen utensils that are so fun to use my family members now help with dinner prep. They’re all under $30.00 and some are small enough for stocking stuffers.
Must Have Kitchen Gadgets
1. The Alligator® Vegetable Chopper: The Alligator dices soft to medium vegetables and fruits into small cubes and juliennes in seconds. Price: $24.99. More information can be found here.
2. The Mandolin Slicer: The Mandolin slices soft to medium vegetables and fruits into a variety of shapes including planks for grilling or roasting. Price: Ranges from $9.99 (Bed Bath and Beyond – use 20% off coupon = $7.99) to $250 (William Sonoma). More information can be found here.
3. Cuisinart Smart Stick® Hand Blender and Mini Chopper Combo: The Smart Stick® is a multi-purpose tool that provides a hand blender for blending soups and sauces directly in the sauce pan as well as a mini chopper attachment that chops foods into sizes of choice. This set also includes a whisk attachment. Price: $29.99 CostCo, $49.99 Bed Bath and Beyond (use 20% off coupon = $40) and major department stores, $49.99 - $59.99. More information can be found here.
4. Pampered Chef® Garlic Press: IMHO, this is the best garlic press around. This garlic press minces garlic in seconds without having to peel it. It comes with a mini cleaning tool for easy clean up so your hands never have to touch the garlic. Price: $16.50. More information can be found here.
5. Microplane® Zester/Grater: Choose from a variety of zester/grater blades to tackle whatever your recipes call for. The handles come in a rainbow of colors to add fun to your kitchen. Price: $14.95. Available at Bed Bath and Beyond and kitchen stores. More information can be found here.
What kitchen gadgets have you grown to love?
Confetti Summer Squash
My family uses the Alligator® Chopper to prepare one of our favorite dishes, Confetti Summer Squash. Even though these squash premier in the summer, this dish is a top request at our holiday dinners year round.
Click here for Confetti Summer Squash recipe.
Holiday Survival Tips
The busyness of this season challenges our efforts at healthy living. Click here for Holiday Eating Survival Tips.