Top 6 recommendations for SAS Certification preparation

Certification is always a hot topic on our social media channels. A popular, ongoing discussion in our LinkedIn group focuses on advice for candidates preparing for the SAS Certified Base Programmer exam. Here’s a summary of the top recommendations to help you prepare for the exam.

1. Review the exam content. Focus your studying on the sections you are least familiar with.
  2. Master the sample questions and practice exam. For the answers you get wrong, make sure you go back and fully understand why.
  3. Use the SAS Certification Prep Guide to lead your studies.
  4. Learning SAS By Example: A Programmer’s Guide is also a highly recommended book among credential holders to help you prepare.
  5. Be confident. Improve your knowledge with training, reading, experience or a combination of all three until you feel confident enough to take the exam. (SAS Programming 1: Essentials and SAS Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques are the recommended training courses.)
  6. Practice makes perfect. The amount of time you need to prepare greatly depends upon how much you use SAS on a regular basis. More SAS experience = less exam preparation time.

Do you have any additional advice to add to the list? Leave us a comment below.

tags: certification

1. Michelle
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

When is the next update of the SAS Certification Prep Guide for the Advanced Programming text expected? Is there anything in the next year? Thanks!

• Maggie Alexander
      Posted May 7, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Hi Michelle,
      There are no changes planned to the edition in the near future. Thank you for your interest.

2. Posted May 18, 2013 at 1:27 am | Permalink

A SAS certified person has tremendous opportunities in in these industry.SAS certifications are really the most globally recognized credentials in this industry and hence has worthy value for it's certification

3. Ali
    Posted June 20, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

I have only been recently inspired into persue a career with SAS.
    Some questions naturally came to mind while considering the certification program:

When will the next edition of SAS be announced?
    Will 'SAS10' make previous certificates redundant?

• Michele Reister Michele Reister
      Posted July 11, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hi Ali,

When a major release of SAS occurs (for example, we just released SAS 9.4 this week), we always update the credential to reflect the new release number. However, the “SAS 9” credentials will not expire and will continue to be valid.

4. pratyusha
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 7:53 am | Permalink

As i was new to the sas please let me know the different certifications available,concerned exams,books available,all relavant information regarding sas certification.............

5. Pulkit
    Posted October 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Sir
    I am interested in doing sas .
    I want to know what is the role or job we have to do using sas software ?
    And after doing basic and advance sas , what are the further studies we can do related to sas ?

6. Nikki
    Posted January 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Hello,
    I have masters in GIS and worked for 1 year. Then i was stay at home mom for 4 years now i want to start working again but my field doesn't look very promising so i want to switch to SAS programmer. I know basics of statistics and used it for my masters thesis work. Also took stat-I class during graduate studies. I used SPSS,SAS, Minitab softwares. This feels like next known territory where i can try to switch. Can you please guide me in the process.
    Is base certification enough to land a job?
    Do you think as coming from another field just certification will be enough?
    How should i prepare for the certification?Join training or self study?
    Further i want to go for clinical SAS. Any suggestions on that front?
    Do you think i need any other skills to go into clinical SAS or to switch fields.
    Thanks for your time and effort.

7. Varun Rajasekaran
    Posted May 6, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Hi,
    Can you suggest me training materials/books/websites for ‘SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst Using SAS 9 ‘ exam ?

8. Akshat DUbey
    Posted August 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Hello All,

I have done MSc in Statistics and now I want to learn SAS. Can you please suggest me if "SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst" or I should do SAS foundation & SAS advanced.

One Trackback

1. [...] Top 6 recommendations for SAS Certification preparation by Michele [...]