I spend a lot of time on support.sas.com looking for resources to share. The SAS Programmer’s Bookshelf is a handy reference that’s been around for a while, so I asked “Why not a SAS Administrator’s Bookshelf?”
What would you include?
It’s complicated, of course, because the SAS administrator’s role covers a myriad of tasks. Throw into that mix, the fact that many individual software products have their own administration requirements, and you have quite a long list.
About a year ago, I published a post on SAS administrator connections and resources, and all this research made me realize it might be time to update that post with a few new items (noted with *).
Installation and configuration
You’ll find most of the information necessary to accomplish your tasks on these support.sas.com:
- System Requirements
- Install Center
- Third-Party Software Support
- System Administration topic in Samples & SAS Notes
- Migration Focus Area
- * Scalability and Performance Focus Area
- * Enterprise Management Integration Focus Area
Training and webinars
These SAS Talks archives are available on demand.
- * SAS® 9.4: What’s New for SAS® Administrators
- * Key Capabilities of SAS® Grid Computing
- SAS® 9.3 Features and Functionality for Platform Administration
- Best Practices in SAS® Administration
- Best Practices for Configuring Your IO Subsystem for SAS®9 Applications
And, of course, don't forget training and certification:
- * Courses and training paths – new courses for SAS Visual Analytics and middle tier
- SAS Global Certification program for platform administrators
Documentation and technical papers
The list of product documentation under SAS Intelligence Platform administration is a great start on the SAS Administrator’s Bookshelf, don’t you think?
- SAS Intelligence Platform administration – a list of related product documentation
- Administrator’s guides for installed products
Many of these papers are updated as new information is available, so check occasionally if you’ve used these resources:
- * SAS Technical Papers – Installation and Enterprise Administration
- * A list of papers useful for troubleshooting system performance problems SAS Global Forum, in particular the Systems Architecture and Administration section
- * SAS Global Forum proceedings SAS Global Forum, in particular the Systems Architecture and Administration section.
Connections through social media
There are several great options!
- SAS Deployment Community on support.sas.com
- LinkedIn groups such as SAS Administration Team & SAS Architects/Administrators/Implementation Specialist
- SAS Users administrators series
- The SAS Dummy
- Real BI for Real Users
- Lisa Horwitz' The IT Whisperer
- Paul Homes' platformadmin.com
- Andrew Ratcliffe's NOTE:
- Tricia Aanderud’s bi notes
I’m sure I’ve missed your favorite! Please share by commenting below.