A good chunk of the SAS year revolves around SAS Global Forum. Pre-conference, everyone is busy polishing presentations and planning meetings. Post-conference is the best—attendees come back to Cary with heads full of customer ideas to implement and notebooks full of contacts to follow up on. One user's request found its way to my Inbox last week when a coworker asked me to review a list of SAS administration resources.
My coworker's note reminded me that new SAS adminstrators join the ranks every month so it seems like a good time to compile a list of online resources. If I've overlooked your favorite, please share with everyone by commenting on this post.
For connecting with other SAS administrators, there are several good options:
- SAS Deployment Community on support.sas.com
- Several LinkedIn groups but a couple of familiar ones are SAS Administration Team and SAS Architects/Administrators/Implementation Specialist
- SAS Blogs tagged for administrators such as the Wednesday series you're reading on SAS Users Groups as well as the SAS administration topics on The SAS Dummy.
- Blogs hosted by SAS users such as Paul Homes' platformadmin.com and Andrew Ratcliffe's NOTE: blog.
If you're responsible for installing and maintaining a SAS installation, you will find most of the information necessary to accomplish your tasks on these support.sas.com sites:
- System Requirements
- Install Center
- Third-Party Software Support
- System Administration topic in Samples & SAS Notes
- Migration Focus Area
Prefer videos? SAS Talks On Demand offers several videos for the SAS administrator.
- SAS® 9.3 Features and Functionality for Platform Administration
- Best Practices in SAS® Administration
- Best Practices for Configuring Your IO Subsystem for SAS®9 Applications
And, of course, don't forget training and documentation:
- Courses and training paths for the administrator
- SAS Global Certification program for platform administrators
- Product documentation for the SAS Intelligence platform
Please let us know how SAS can continue to support this important role.