Export and download any file from SAS Enterprise Guide

Last week I alluded to some very useful applications of the Copy Files task. This is one of them.

Using the SAS programming language, you can manipulate data and create files of just about any size, shape, and format: Excel, PDF, CSV, RTF, and more. A challenge for SAS Enterprise Guide users has been: how to capture those files and bring them back to your local PC, when the SAS Workspace is running on a remote machine?

Example: Export to a CSV file and download the result

Here's a typical scenario: You have a simple SAS program that produces one or more CSV files that you will ultimately use in another program. How can you get the CSV files to your PC automatically?

STEP 1: Build a program step to create the CSV file
This program is easy to adapt for any data set and environment. It works on Windows and UNIX. All you need to know is the library and member name of the data that you want to export, and then the destination folder for your local PC. The program will perform the export operation, stage the CSV file in a temp location, and define the macro variables that the next step will use.

/* Data to export */
%let lib  =         sashelp;
%let datafile =     class;
/* Local folder to download to */
%let download_to =  c:\projects\data\results;
/* detect proper delim for UNIX vs. Windows */
%let delim=%sysfunc(ifc(%eval(&sysscp. = WIN),\,/));
%let download_from =
filename src "&download_from.";
proc export data=&lib..&datafile.
filename src clear;

STEP 2: Use Copy Files task to download the result
The Copy Files task accepts SAS macro expressions. That's a key feature, as the macro variables we need are defined in the previous program step. Here's a screen shot of the task settings:

This makes the use of the Copy Files task very "generic". In fact, you can create a Task Template that defines these exact task settings, and thus always have it available on your Tasks menu directly.

STEP 3: Link these steps together in a process flow
Create a user-defined link between the program and the task, ensuring that they will run in the correct sequence.

The power of SAS and the flexibility of the Copy Files task really makes this a simple operation. However, you might want to consider a few variations:

• Export and download a collection of files in one step. With minor mods to the SAS program, you can loop through a collection of SAS data sets and export multiple CSV files. Instead of defining a single file to download, set the &DOWNLOAD_FROM variable to a file spec with a wildcard. The Copy Files task can handle wildcard notation -- no problem. (Well, no problem anymore, as long as you grab this update.)

/* specify a wildcard */
    %let download_from =
    /* file to create in step */
    filename src "%sysfunc(getoption(work))&delim.&datafile..csv";
  • Add a date stamp to your results file. You might have a requirement to keep older versions of your results. With a simple adjustment to the macro expression, you can append a date stamp to the files you create. This will ensure that even if you download the results to the same location each day, the previous results will not be replaced. When you download the file, the name with the date stamp will be intact.
    filename src

Sample result from this step:

NOTE: The file SRC is:

This is just one example of the useful things you can do with the Copy Files task. SAS users are a creative bunch. What other uses can you think of for this task?

Related articles

Copying files in SAS Enterprise Guide
Fixes for the Copy Files task in SAS Enterprise Guide

tags: FTP, SAS custom tasks

1. Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:30 am | Permalink

You have really posted too good info for Export and download any file from SAS Enterprise Guide. It became too simple and easy for me with diagrams to understand...

2. Posted July 18, 2013 at 3:29 am | Permalink

This is a very useful contribution. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

3. Posted September 25, 2013 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Hy Chris,

thanks a lot for sharing this nice Add-In with us!

Do you plan to develop a Version for the 6.1 Enterprise Guide? Or is there something else for such Tasks?

Posted September 25, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Actually, I think that the 5.1 version of this task will work with 6.1 - simply follow the same installation instructions, but place in the ../6.1/Custom folder instead of the ../5.1/Custom folder.

If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

• Posted September 27, 2013 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot, we will install the 6.1 EG in November, so that's the time i can make a "real" try...

4. James T
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Hi Chris, excellent task extension. I am having an issue with it in SAS EG 4.1 however.

I am currently exporting a csv file with 65,000+ rows (280+ MB) from SAS to a network drive using the above method. Everything seems to go A-OK, however when you inspect the file after completion there are a substantial amount of blank spaces in the file. This happens apparently at random throughout the file, and it includes the header row.

I have inspected the source data table, matched up a few specific rows and can confirm the data is there before export but not there after.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Posted January 21, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I'm not sure what's going on here, but you might experiment with another way to create the CSV file. For example, you could use DATA step with a FILE statement and PUT, or ODS CSV and PROC PRINT. This blog has some examples.

Are you also using the Copy Files task to download the file from SAS to your PC (network drive)? This task for 4.1 (I think) simply does a binary file transfer. If your SAS session is UNIX and the destination is the PC, the line endings are treated differently. You might try opening the file in a text editor that can detect/convert these, such as TextPad or Notepad++.

5. Antony
    Posted July 28, 2014 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Hi Chris, very useful thing. What could you say about copying of whole folder with this Add-In?

Posted July 28, 2014 at 9:23 am | Permalink

It's a good idea. Right now, the task supports wildcard notation, so you can copy all files in a folder with "*.*". But it does not support subfolders in this way. Part of the limitation is that, for now, the task does not create new folders at the destination. It can copy contents only into existing folders.

6. Antony
    Posted July 29, 2014 at 2:56 am | Permalink

Thank you for quick response. Whether I can create directories for all files I want to copy (I'm going to do this using dcreate function) - can I use this add-in for copying from local PC to different direcrories on net drive "in one action", other words without multiple adding this add-in to process flow? I dont know how I can cycle eg process flow, and not sure if it is possible..

Posted July 30, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Antony, you can't "loop through" a series of directories with a single instance of the task. But you can create a "task template" of the operation, and easily re-use it throughout multiple projects (or the same project).

Here's how -- first, add the task with the values you need for one of the directories. Specify all of the options as you need them. Then you can run it or click the Save button in the task to save it in your project without running it immediately.

Then, right-click on the task in the process flow and select Create Task Template.... Assign a meaningful name to the template, such as "Copy PC files to Server". After you save the template, you'll find it in the Tasks->Task Templates menu or in the Task list window. When you select the template, it will be added to the project with all of your settings remembered. Simply tweak what you need to change for each instance. You'll still have several copies of the Copy Files task in your project, but the template will save you lots of time in defining them.

7. Shashikanth Rai
    Posted December 22, 2014 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Hi all, Is there any SAS code to export the SAS programs from EG file? I have an Option of "Export Program as a step in Project" but i don't want to use that as it takes more time to export each file. Please let me know if any code is available.

Posted January 6, 2015 at 9:38 am | Permalink

You can export all code in a project by using the automation object model and a scripting language like VB Script or PowerShell. Here is an article with several examples.

8. Posted February 27, 2015 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Have you heard of any file size limitations? Your proc export sends the data to file=src where src is the fileref for the temporary work (i.e., %sysfunc(getoption(work)&delim.&datafile..csv). Could there be a problem if I a large table (~350 GB). Might I run out of space in the temporary directory?

Thank you!

Posted March 4, 2015 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

350GB is a very large file to store in scratch space -- yes, you might run out of space. You'll need to work with your system administrator to identify a location that might be appropriate for this. You can always change the example code that I provided to point to whatever agreed-upon path you come up with.

But the download of a 350GB file is likely to be very slow-going -- over an hour on a Fast LAN connection. I don't think it's practical to move such large files around in this way.

Posted April 7, 2015 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hi there
    when I tried to download a SAS file 'HELP' using the above data export code I get the error message as shown here. Is it because I don't have proper authorization or something else ?

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access D:\HELP.csv.

Posted April 7, 2015 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

If you're using this exact code to test, it sounds like the &DOWNLOAD_FROM macro isn't building out properly. You should add a %PUT &DOWNLOAD_FROM.; statement in your code to see what the value is. In my test it shows as:

%put &download_from;
      C:\Users\sascrh\AppData\Local\Temp\SEG7028\SAS Temporary Files\_TD9752_L77841_\Prc2\class.csv
  10. mcarrison
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Chris,

I have been attempting to get this solution to work but keeping running into the below error:

ERROR: Target folder (&download_to) does not exist or cannot be accessed on LIBP03P-7H3QRID

I have tried a few different destination folders and below is the code I am using when attempting to export to my desktop. Any ideas or is this user permission related? Thanks:

/* Data to export */
    %let lib  =         GRIDWORK;
    %let datafile =     MARKETING_NAMES_EXPORT;
    /* Local folder to download to */
    %let download_to =  c:\users\n0148198\desktop;
    %put &download_to;
    /* detect proper delim for UNIX vs. Windows */
    %let delim=%sysfunc(ifc(%eval(&sysscp. = WIN),\,/));
    %let download_from =
    %put &download_from;
    filename src "&download_from.";
    proc export data=&lib..&datafile.
    filename src clear;
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Is "LIBP03P-7H3QRID" the name of your local desktop machine? And did you click the "Resolve macro variables in source and destination paths" checkbox on the Copy Files task? It looks like the task is not substituting in the macro variable values properly.

11. Linda Schott
    Posted July 17, 2015 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

In EG 5.1 we had the Run and Save buttons in this Custom Task. Now in EG 7.1 we don't have the Run and Save buttons. We just have OK, which will automatically run the task. I would like to get that Save option back. Can we do so with EG 7.1?

Here is the reply I got back from our SAS Support team when I posed this dilemma:

'We do not have any control over the custom task. This custom task is written while back; therefore, some of the features may not compatible with EG 7.1 so that the SAVE option is omitted from EG 7.1.'

Posted July 30, 2015 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Linda, the Run and Save button are in the 7.1 version of this task. Are you sure that you have the proper version installed? It should be SAS.Tasks.CopyFiles71.dll.

12. Eric
    Posted August 24, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Is this feature available on EG 4.3? I can't find it on my EG 4.3. thanks.

• Eric
      Posted August 24, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Hmmm....I got it from another Chris's post. Thanks.

Posted August 24, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Glad you found it! You must have found the download for the Copy Files custom task.

• Eric
          Posted August 25, 2015 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Yes, I also installed it on my EG 4.3 and it works perfectly, thanks.
          But I still have a question:
          Is there any way to call this task or task template in SAS code or macro programmingly rather than clicking the menu manually? if so, it will make this feature much more flexible.

Posted August 25, 2015 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Eric, glad it's working.

No, there isn't any SAS code that does the same operation, since the code runs on the SAS server and can't reach your local desktop.

You could use FILENAME FTP or network paths (\\server\folder) to accomplish file-copy operations in code, but often that's not an option in client-server environments.

13. Eric
    Posted August 25, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thanks Chris. Yes, ours is typical client-server environment. My scenario is: I run my SAS programs on our remote UNIX server via my EG 4.3 on my local Wins7, then the programs create some excel files there. What I am trying to do is to let the programs to copy or transfer these excel files back to my local machine. Is there any option to achieve this?

Posted August 25, 2015 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Not directly. Your best option would be to place them in a UNIX directory that you can also access from your PC. For example, at my work we have a mapped drive that can get to our UNIX home directories.

• Eric