To be honest, I really didn’t know what to expect. Mostly, I thought we would be doing more work interacting with current Curriculum Pathways apps and resources to become familiar with them – almost like taking on the role of “tester." Though we did do this from time to time, we were really allowed to immerse ourselves in all aspects of Curriculum Pathways -- from evaluating resources, to taking part in demos, sitting in on team meetings, and even submitting our own ideas for future apps and resources.
What skills did you acquire during your summer with Curriculum Pathways?
I would say that collaboration was the skill that I honed the most during the Teacher Institute. The experience also helped me to become better at multi-tasking. Finally, the Teacher Institute gave me the opportunity to see individual projects from multiple vantage points. This helped remind me of the importance of stepping back from time to time and taking in the perspective from 20,000 feet.
Tell us a funny or memorable moment.
A few moments from the summer stick out to me…
- Looking for the “syrup room” and being taken on a behind-the-scenes tour by a very kind woman from the dining staff.
- Making my first Crio lesson.
- Helping to test Crio – and finding bugs for the developers to fix!
- Presenting at my first Dolphin Tank – where the whole division explores new ideas -- and being super excited and terrified all at once!
- Writing, rewriting, and re-re-writing my blog post approximately 1,483 times -- and then getting it accepted!
- Getting to join in on CodeSnaps demos and sharing coding with students.
How has the Teacher Institute impacted your classroom/teaching?
It has equipped me with engaging and effective teaching tools like CodeSnaps and Crio to share with my students. It also helped me to bring the 4Cs to my students in authentic ways.
How did you feel on your first day? Your last?
First Day: Excited to get to work with and learn from everyone at Curriculum Pathways and the rest of the teachers in the institute… Nervous that I wasn’t “techy” enough, that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with everyone else.
Last Day: Bittersweet… sad that our summer with Curriculum Pathways was over, but excited to take what I’d learned and apply it in my classroom.
Sum up the Teacher Institute in one word.
Want to join the 2019 Curriculum Pathways Teacher Institute? Applications are now open!
Read more from Kortney: Get organized and take your lessons digital (ESchoolNews)