I’m sure most students would agree that writing well—especially writing well for a variety of purposes—is not easy. On any given school day, a student might be asked to analyze a poem by Emily Dickinson, to construct a lab report following a science experiment, or to explain the historical importance of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. Regardless of the task, student writers face the daily challenge of expressing themselves clearly and forcefully. As Mark Twain noted, “To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement.”
Here’s the good news: Curriculum Pathways now offers a free add-on that Google Docs users can install to help them revise and edit their writing. This SAS Writing Reviser add-on includes tools that help students make their sentences more economical, varied, powerful, and clear.
There’s more good news: it’s easy to use. Just follow these steps:
- Install the SAS Writing Reviser add-on by following the instructions here.
- Once the add-on is installed, choose Open Writing Reviser from the add-on menu.
- If you do not already have your Google account associated with a Curriculum Pathways account, choose Sign Up and create one with your Google login information. Use the same account used to log into Google Docs.
- Once you have a Curriculum Pathways account, you can select Log In and follow the instructions to approve the add-on.
- You will now be automatically logged in to the Writing Reviser add-on and can begin using the tools provided.
Of course, the SAS Writing Reviser add-on will not analyze the poem for the student, and it certainly won’t conduct the science experiment or evaluate Lincoln’s speech. But the tools will provide student writers with the information they need to begin to think like a professional writer and to express their thoughts more clearly and effectively. And they might just find that getting the right word in the right place will become an achievement that is not so rare after all.
Learn more about Writing Reviser - and how you and your students can use this powerful writing tool!