More research from Harvard Business Review


There is something that 90% of us admit to doing, and the other 10% will lie about.

That, of course, is Googling yourself.

As an avid follower of myself, and everything I do, I look forward to a weekly Google Alert that tells me all about what I've been up to. Unfortunately, it also tells me about the doings (and mis-doings) of people with the same name, such as this one about "Magic Mike":

Another first for the Pine Tree Festival and Southeast Timber EXPO is the multi-talented and entertaining Magic Mike Gilliland and his sidekick, Lollipop the Clown. Mike Gilliland mixes magic, comedy, and more into his show and has been entertaining crowds since he was 8 years old. Gilliland gets help in his show from a rabbit, dove, and even a dog.

I think I first heard about Magic Mike's act in the movie, The Aristocrats.

Participate in Research Study with Harvard Business Review

I hope you've had a chance to complete the Lancaster Centre for Forecasting survey mentioned last week.

[03/16/2012 update: The HBR survey has been closed, so thanks to all who participated.]

SAS and Harvard Business Review have joined for a new study to better understand how organizations make key decision, and the extent to which data and analytics are driving decision-making. To participate, simply follow this link: [survey closed]

Responses are confidential and results analyzed in aggregate only. As a participant you will be able to download a complimentary copy of HBR's special collection of articles, "Using Analytics to Drive Better Decisions." In addition, you will receive a summary of the survey results when they are available.


About Author

Mike Gilliland

Product Marketing Manager

Michael Gilliland is a longtime business forecasting practitioner and formerly a Product Marketing Manager for SAS Forecasting. He is on the Board of Directors of the International Institute of Forecasters, and is Associate Editor of their practitioner journal Foresight: The International Journal of Applied Forecasting. Mike is author of The Business Forecasting Deal (Wiley, 2010) and former editor of the free e-book Forecasting with SAS: Special Collection (SAS Press, 2020). He is principal editor of Business Forecasting: Practical Problems and Solutions (Wiley, 2015) and Business Forecasting: The Emerging Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (Wiley, 2021). In 2017 Mike received the Institute of Business Forecasting's Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2021 his paper "FVA: A Reality Check on Forecasting Practices" was inducted into the Foresight Hall of Fame. Mike initiated The Business Forecasting Deal blog in 2009 to help expose the seamy underbelly of forecasting practice, and to provide practical solutions to its most vexing problems.


  1. Mike - don't google yourself anytime soon... you don't want the Sunflower Market Mike Gilliland google results! As for me, I've done it before, but can't say that I've created a google ALERT but then again, I'm not the celebrity you are :)

  2. Pingback: How much is too much information (TMI)? - The Business Forecasting Deal

Leave A Reply

Back to Top