While you're at SAS Global Forum (or any conference) in Las Vegas, you might have a bit of spare time to do some sightseeing. Therefore I've put together a list & map of interesting things you might want to experience!
Below is a snapshot of my map - click it to see the full size interactive map, with hover-text and drill-downs for each attraction. Notice that the marker for the main conference hotel is yellow/red, and the other attractions are cyan/blue. You can click the markers to launch a Google search for that attraction, and the hover-text for each marker shows the distance from the conference hotel (I tried to pick interesting attractions within a reasonably short distance). The interactive map is followed by a tabular list of the attractions, if you're more of a text-based person. Interactive map of Vegas attractions to see during SAS Global Forum #SASGF Click To Tweet
- This map is created from 12 OpenStreetMap map tiles, annotated within Proc Gplot axes.
- The tickmarks and x/y values along the axes are suppressed using the axis statement.
- The distance between each attraction and the conference hotel is calculated using the geodist() function.
- The map markers are created using the annotate pie function, with an empty/outline pie overlaid on top of a solid colored pie.
- The OpenStreetMap copyright link at the bottom/right of the map is created using a note statement, and the link=, underlin=, and color= options.
- The "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign was created from scratch, using annotated polygons & text.
- And the table of links below the map was created with Proc Print, and embedding html href= tags in the text values that are being printed
Are there any special Vegas locations you'd like to add to the map? (feel free to mention them in a comment!) And here's a link to the sas code if you'd like to download it, and create your own custom version of the map!