Top 10 reasons to get SAS certified

Since 1999, the SAS Global Certification program has helped thousands of SAS professionals achieve their career goals. In today’s busy world, it’s hard to add something else to our already full plates, but personal development can payoff. Here’s a list of 10 reasons to become SAS certified:

1. Improve your skills and expertise by going through the process of preparing for a SAS exam. Even long-time SAS users will benefit from the experience.
  2. Industry validation of your SAS skills and expertise.
  3. Increased credibility with your employer as a technical professional committed to personal growth.
  4. Increased marketability if you are looking for a job.
  5. SAS credentials are job-role focused, with immediate relevancy to real world needs.
  6. SAS skills are in high demand around the globe (just check out a major job board site in your region and type in ‘SAS’).
  7. It’s proven to increase your earning power.
  8. Defined training paths and certification training packages make preparation more accessible and affordable.
  9. SAS certified individuals can qualify for discounts on other SAS training.
  10. SAS certified individuals are listed in the Directory of SAS Certified Professionals which can be accessed by employers to validate your credentials.

Achieving a SAS certification is worth considering if you can relate to anything listed above -  it might just be the most beneficial thing you do all year. The SAS Global Certification program includes credentials that validate SAS skills in Programming, Analytics, Administration, Data Management, and Enterprise Business Intelligence.   To date we’ve awarded over 45,000 SAS credentials to individuals in 77 different countries.  Here’s how you can get started to determine the best certification path for you. Good luck, and if you have any questions, drop us a line at certification@sas.com.

We’re also looking for people who have benefited from getting SAS certified. If you’d like to share your success story, please contact us at certification@sas.com and we might just feature you in a story or video.

tags: certification

1. Posted August 1, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I agree with this article. I got my Base SAS certification in June and I already have an increase
    of phone calls from recruiters.

• Michele Reister Michele Reister
      Posted August 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Divyesh! We'd love to hear more about your success. Email us at certification@sas.com and tell us about your journey to become SAS certified (how you prepared, your exam experience) and how your career has changed as a result. Thanks!

2. Hannes Jordaan
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I have read that even as an experienced SAS programmer passing the excam is very very hard. No I have no SAS knowlage or programming experience od any kind. Will SAS Base Programming 1 e-learning course prep me enough to get SAS certified?

3. Nat
    Posted March 5, 2013 at 3:11 am | Permalink

I would like to become SAS certified but I am wondering if their are courses that emphasize biostatistics. Thanks.

4. Sumit Parkar
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Hi Michele Reister,
    I am certified for Base and BI. My Predictive modelling course also going on. But i am fresher statistics graduate and i am facing trouble to getting job. I am applying everyday lots of job opening but not getting call from recruiters. Everyone need experience person for there Organization :(.
    What i should do ?

• Michele Reister Michele Reister
      Posted March 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Sumit,

SAS Institute does not provide career counseling or job placement services. Generally, we recommend that you review job opportunities in your geographic area of interest on job sites like Monster.com or icrunchdata.com to see what kind of skills are needed in your industry of choice.

Another way to investigate your area of possible interest is to review success stories for companies or industries of interest on the SAS web site (http://www.sas.com/success/). You can review the success stories by country, solution or technology.

Good luck with your job search!
      -Michele

• Ronald Finnerty
      Posted May 30, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

If you've received certifications and are not receiving calls on your resume- the issue is you need a better focused resume.
      If you are getting calls on your resume but are not getting interviews or you are getting interviews but not job offers-you need interview coaching.
      There are many companies that provide these services that you can find on the internet with a simple search for what you need. Resume help, Interview coaching, or Career Coaching or All of them. Costs for these services vary widely.
      A company I highly recommend is CareerIQ. Karen over there has helped hundreds of people position themselves for their careers and for the next position they wanted.
      They have worked with clients from High school Students, recent college grads, career changers, return to work moms to V.P. and CFO .
      Disclaimer: I have been a client and done some data work with them. http://careeriq.org

I recommend you visit their website and contact them for assistance.

5. Emily
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

In the process of preparing for the Certification, I learned a lot about SAS and became more proficient in data processing and analysis. Though I am not seeking a job right now, some recruiters are willing to keep in touch with me before I graduate after I put the Certifications on resume. I hope I could sharpen my skills in SAS and statistics and find a job after graduation.

6. santhosh
    Posted September 11, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Hi I completed Msc;(software engineering) and I am working as a test engineer and technical writer, I have 7 months of experience, but I want to become a SAS certified business analyst. What's the course I am supposed to take? Please help me.

7. Terry Barham Terry Barham
    Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Here is the link to the recommended training courses for the SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst: Regression and Modeling credential. http://support.sas.com/certify/creds/sba.html#s1=3

Good luck with your preparation.

Terry Barham - SAS

8. Shrab
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Hi , I have completed my engineering in Information Science and currently working As information mamagement analyst , I have total experience of 1 yr and 3 months. i am interested to Get certified in SAS programming and continue my career with it, Can anybody help me give more details on it as i am new to this field

9. Chinna
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I am a public health graduate (MPH) looking for opportunities in Data analysis.
    I took SAS introductory course work in my graduate program but need to sharpen my analytic skills I have a biology background what SAS certification/ course would be best to get jobs in health care? please suggest

• Terry Barham Terry Barham
      Posted February 5, 2014 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Terry Barham
      Manager, SAS Global Certification

10. Ritesh
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 3:52 am | Permalink

I have done Bsc computer science, pgdm marketing from singapore and now currently working with 2years of experience in sales. Kindly advice me what course would it be best for me in SAS.

As I have heard too much regarding SAS careers. ..

11. sarath
    Posted April 6, 2014 at 6:07 am | Permalink

hi
    i completed my b.tech in biotechnology. in these days i came to hear about SAS. in which way this is useful in my field of biotechnology? does this program is useful in any pharmaceutical industries?

12. Terry Barham Terry Barham
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

SAS is used extensively in the Health and Life Sciences industry. For example, SAS is used in clinical trials for new drug introduction and research. From a certification perspective, the Base Programmer for SAS 9 and the Clinical Trials Programming Using SAS 9 credentials are common in the Health Care areas. Here is the link to the SAS Certification website where you can view more information about these certifications and the recommended training courses. http://support.sas.com/certify/

Terry Barham
    Manager, SAS Global Certification

13. Gavy Bachher
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Hi there,

I have an MBA plus have the Advance SAS Certification too. I have five years of experience in teaching Business Research Methods in London using , base and advance SAS procedures, DATA , PROC steps etc.
    What would you advise should be my next step so as to be able to increase job prospects in the field of SAS? Since I have a business acumen, I decided I go ahead with the Predictive Modeler certification. You reckon I am on the right path?
    Thanks
    Gavy
    Raleigh,NC

14. Karthikeyan.R
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I am from a commerce background. Currently, working for a retail POS company as a Business Analyst. I know the retail process well. I have now planned to take up SAS course. Will this give me an added advantage, if i choose to go with retail consulting firms or any big retail group?? The main point is i dont have any programming background.

Please advise...

• Terry Barham Terry Barham
      Posted May 6, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

SAS does have a certification for Statistical Business Analyst Using SAS 9: Regression and Modeling. This cert does require some SAS programming expertise. You can take a look at the exam objectives and recommended preparation from the main certification website at: http://support.sas.com/certify

Good Luck.
      Terry Barham
      Manager, SAS Global Certification

15. mahima
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 8:02 am | Permalink

HI .... i have 3.4 yrs of total exp , previously i was working as a developer and currently as business associate but I want to become a SAS certified business analyst , what should i do ???

• Terry Barham Terry Barham
      Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Good Luck.
      Terry Barham
      Manager, SAS Global Certification

16. Jon
    Posted July 19, 2014 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Hi, I am working as a telecom service engineer with a company argueably the best in the industry worldwide.However I can see there is a saturation within the industry and the growth prospects are limited.I am planning to do a MBA , also giving a thought over the SAS certification.My ultimate aim is to position myself in a business analytics job.Presently I am drawing an ok salary and almost comfortable lifestyle.But looking at the future,I am seriously thinking of a career change.My inclination towards coding , so I hope to fair well in SAS programming.But how can I land a job?
    I am 28 right now.Kindly suggest me, should I go for a SAS certification ?

17. Terry Barham Terry Barham
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink

For SAS programming, the SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9 is the best place to start. Here is the link for full details on exam content, recommended training, etc. http://support.sas.com/certify/creds/bp.html

18. Santosh Choudhury
    Posted September 7, 2014 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Hi,

I am working in Steel company as a Logistics Coordinator (Basically making all MIS Report & SAP) from last 6 years. I have an long around 10 years educational gap. Now i am continuing BCA (completed on 2015 from distance). Please suggest me SAS courses will help my carrier to grow.

• Terry Barham Terry Barham
      Posted September 8, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

There are so many ways to go within SAS that it really depends on your areas of interest. A good place to start is by looking at the training website under Learning Paths at: http://support.sas.com/training/us/paths/

Many people start with FOUNDATION courses for programming. The Programming 1 and Programming 2 courses are the most popular.

19. Bhavin Patel
    Posted September 16, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Hi,

I am currently working as a Data Analyst and very much interested in getting a SAS Certification but bit confused which certification to go for, since I am not coming from an IT field, no programming experience and never used SAS.

Please suggest......

20. Terry Barham Terry Barham
    Posted September 18, 2014 at 8:02 am | Permalink

21. Kirthan
    Posted October 14, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I am a fresh graduate taking up Base SAS certification exam soon. Does the certification exam need experience in SAS to clear the exam?

• Terry Barham Terry Barham
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Yes. Training courses, sample questions, practice exams, etc., can provide a strong foundation, but there is no replacement for practicing with actual software and writing code.

Terry Barham
      Manager, SAS Global Certification

22. pankaj deshmukh
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Hi I am BE mechanical engineer & MBA Marketing.Which will be suitable course for me to get SAS Certified.I am working in research & consulting firm

23. Unnikrishnan
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    i thought of doing a SAS Course. i have completed B.sc Computer Science and am working in a KPO process. i want to learn something new and different that why i am eager to hear detail about SAS. please explain me brief on the below.
    1. What is SAS program and its benifits?
    2. what knowledge is mandatory to learn SAS?
    3. what kind of Jobs i will get if i complete SAS and what will be my designation?
    4. what are the best training centers in Bangalore to learn SAS?
    5. What cost for SAS program and how long it will take if i attend the classes on Weekend?

24. Anand Ota
    Posted December 3, 2014 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Dear Team,

I am a marketing professional and work with big data on a daily basis for product pricing, usage and revenue enhancement for a telecom company.

please advise if I should look at taking in any SAS training to help with my work.

Rgds,
    Anand

1. By Homepage on December 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

... [Trackback]...

[...] Informations on that Topic: blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2012/08/01/top-10-reasons-to-get-sas-certified/ [...]...

2. […] Top 10 reasons to get SAS Certified by Terry […]