Operation PROC CERTIFY; begins!

Becoming SAS Certified is no easy task. Don't you have the fondest memories of studying for the SAT or GRE? Late nights poring over practice exams, running through vocabulary flashcards with study partners, and attending prep courses. What I remember most was the absolute rush of relief upon finishing these kinds of tests. Woo hoo—done! While similar in some aspects, obtaining the coveted SAS Certification is a whole different ballgame, and one I can only relate to on the most basic of late-night-studying, exam-taking, hoping-for-a-huge-score levels.

Enter our first feature here at Open Mic we affectionately call PROC CERTIFY;. Two of my colleagues have agreed (yes, willingly) to blog and Twitter their experiences toward becoming SAS Certified. Stacey Hamilton (pictured right) and Christine Kjellberg (pictured left) both share a liberal arts background and work only a few offices from each other. They have no background in SAS programming, save an introductory course or two, and want to pursue the Base Certification while juggling their 9-5 responsibilities in the Publications division.

Their plan is to use the new edition of the SAS Certification Prep Guide to prepare for the exam, along with a few other of our titles, including Learning SAS by Example and SAS for Dummies. We will follow their journey here on Open Mic through weekly posts each Friday. In addition to their blogging, follow Stacey and Christine on Twitter and on our Facebook page for updates, photos and all kinds of goodies related to their studying woes, late-night snack choices, and exam tips.

Join us here this Friday for Stacey's first post where she reveals her motivations for becoming SAS Certified. I look forward to your comments and hope that you will support my two courageous friends along with me!

tags: certification, christine kjellberg, kirsten hamstra, PROC CERTIFY, sas, stacey hamilton

1. JSB
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 11:36 am | Permalink

:) I just started the basic concepts course yesterday! Following your path, but on a more private route!!! I am signed up for Prog1 in October...

2. M
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Good luck ladies! Can't wait to read the blog. What a great idea.

3. Audimar Bangi
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 8:24 am | Permalink

If I may suggest, when Stacey and Christine are "done" with their review, I would encourage them to gauge their readiness for the actual certification exam by trying my exam simulator/reviewer (--a remnant of my sas2themax.com work before I joined SAS last year):
    For Stacey and Christine, I'm giving away this exam simulator and reviewer, free! (just e-mail me directly). Good luck ladies!
    Regards,
    Audi
    SAS Certified Professional V8

4. Stacey Hamilton
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Audi! That is very nice of you. I am here at NESUG this week, and I've been asking everyone if this is manageable. I will very likely take you up on this. Thanks again! Stacey

5. Harry
    Posted September 25, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Do you think this type of exercise will elevate the profile of SAS Certification?
    I have nothing against liberal arts majors or folks that work in Publications, but it strikes me that if these two fine ladies, non technical as they appear to be, certainly not SAS programmers, are able to pass the exam after reading a book or two, you've denigrated the certification process irreparably. Memorizing syntax does not a SAS programmer make!
    This is precisely the reason that many ( most? ) accomplished SAS programmers have not taken the certification exam.

6. JMF
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

I highly recommend Learning SAS by Example (although it does contain some typos and incorrect solutions in the back!). I use it as my textbook for the introductory SAS programming course that I teach at UCSD Extension. I know of at least one student who passed the Base SAS Certification exam after completing my course.

One Trackback

1. By PROC CERTIFY underway - The SAS Dummy on October 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

[...] how Stacey and Christine are working to join the ranks of the certified (and not the certifiable, we [...]