Saving Graphs, Tables and Reports in JMP

Here are some simple ways to save both tabular output and/or graphs in JMP.

When you copy information from JMP, you can either use “Copy” from the Edit menu or the tool bar. The copied information is copied to an active windows clip board.

1. If you want to save the whole report output with graphs, simply choose Edit/Copy to store the active window to the clipboard and then paste the results in your document.

2. You can save just a portion of the results by choosing the “fat-plus" tool from the toolbar (or Tools>Selection) and then clicking on the table, column or graph you would like save. You then copy and paste as before.

selection tool in JMP

a. From any JMP output window, click on the selection tool in the toolbar (the fat plus)
b. Click on the content you’d like to copy – the selected content is highlighted. To extend a selection, hold the Shift key
c. Click Edit>Copy

d. Open the program where you’d like to paste the content and select Paste>Paste Special. From the list, select Picture (Enhanced Metafile).

By selecting Picture (Enhanced Metafile), you have the ability to grow and shrink the image, ungroup the image for manipulation. This options also takes up less storage space.

Once the image has been pasted in your application, if you right-click within the image and select Edit Picture, you then have the ability to manipulate that image.

3. JMP also provides methods that allow you to customize report output and save it as a graphic, text, Word, .rtf, or .html. The text format is the only format that doesn't save graphs. Select File>Save as

4. You can also save selected graphs or tables by choosing Edit>Save Selection As. This option only allows you to save the selected item as graphics with an extension .png, .jpg, .svg, .gif or .wmf

5. You cannot save output directly from the report; instead, you must duplicate it by selecting Edit>Journal or Edit>Layout. Both commands will reproduce the report in a new window and allow you to customize the look of the report. The layout option provides a few more editing options, such as allowing you to ungroup parts of a report. Select File/Save and choose a format above to save a journal or layout window.

To learn more about saving data tables, graphics and reports, refer to Chapter 4 of the User Guide in JMP: “Saving Data Reports and Sessions.”

tags: JMP - General, Tips and Tricks

1. Lyanne
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

I have to say saving any output (graph, fit model direction,analysis output) is to totally not straightforward or user friendly. I couldn't even figure out how to do it. In JMP 7 All I had to do was have the window in question open, click on and hit "save as" under "File"....
    Am I missing something here? Is this because I have a demo version right now?

2. Morgan Zeliff
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I've had the same problem as Lyanne. I have no way of saving the graphs that I make. I also have no way of exporting them as image files. I don't have a demo version of JMP though, I have JMP Pro 9 and a temporary licence.

The problem is that there is not a menu bar in any of the windows in which the graphs are made. I have a friend with a Mac who does not have this issue, but for my PC it seems to be a problem. I'd love any help that any one can offer!

3. Kendra Seaman
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I'm having the same problem as Morgan. We're using the student version of JMP and cannot export graphs. In the Mac version of JMP 9 you can export reports as text files, image files, HTML files or RTF files. How can we do this on the PC version of JMP 9? Thanks!

4. Mary Loveless Mary Loveless
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

The menu bar in JMP 9 disappears, so the Selection tool that allows copying and pasting of JMP output (the fat plus sign) is hidden. To view the menu bar, click the alt key. Then, use the selection tool to select output you'd like to copy. In addition you see other menu options such as the File > Save as.

FYI - you can change the JMP preferences so the menu always displays if the hidden menu bothers you - go to File > Preferences > Windows Specific. There's an option about 2/3 of the way down that controls this. This way your menu will be visible on all open JMP windows.

Let me know if I have answered your question(s).

--Mary

• Fethon Naoum
      Posted November 26, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Mary, your post answered my question! I recently upgraded from JMP 8 to JMP 11 and was really puzzled on how to save grapsh etc. I went through old posts online and discovered this one.
      Thanks!

5. Jason Martin
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I have roughly 40 plots that are generated using a script in JMP 8 and JMP 9. Is there any way to have all of these saved in bulk? I am getting rather bored with saving each one one at a time.

6. Stephen Deason
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Mary,

Thank you. The menu being hidden by default is an extremely frustrating "feature." In response to your above message: I appreciate your advice; it was exactly what I needed to know.

If you happen to be part of the JMP team, would you please let your team know that, moving forward, changes like this (to the GUI) need to be appropriately followed with changes to the help documentation?

Thank you.

Stephen

7. Erich Zorn
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I'm using JMP Pro 10.0, and I was having a heck of a time figuring out how to simply save a graph as an image file for inclusion in a presentation. The help documentation was utterly useless. I am glad I found Mary's comment above, or I would have been lost forever. Wheat kind of "feature" is hiding the menu on every window except the home screen? A useless feature and very frustrating to say the least.

8. Ruth
    Posted April 4, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I'm using JMP 10 on windows and a colleage showed me how to keep menus visible at all times. Go to File > Preferences > Windows Specific. Then, near the bottom change 'Auto-hide menu and toolbars' to Never.
    Hope this helps!

• pattheplant
      Posted April 22, 2013 at 4:43 am | Permalink

Completely agree with the above posts. Using JMP 10 and auto hiding the save menu resulted in me spending over an hour going around in circles in the help menu. Utterly stupid "feature" to hide an essential tool bar with no prompts. Dont think this is the last complaint you will hear either. Not a good start JMP, not a good start!

9. Lenny
    Posted July 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem as Jason Martin, I'm using JMP 9, and is there a way to include in the script a way to save many generated tables as an image.

10. Posted July 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

You can definitely save JMP reports via scripting. But as for a way to save many generated data tables via scripting, I am not sure.

I know the suggestions below are not an automated way, but this is a way to capture an image of your data table(s).

You can save data table to a journal and via scripting create an image that way. Here are the steps for getting the data table into a journal:
    1. Have a journal open
    2. Have data table be the active view (it what you’re looking at)
    3. Go to the menu: Edit > Journal
    This will put the columns of your data table into the journal. Then you use the journal functions to create the view you want.

Is this saved data table output within the journal what you’re looking to create?

Another options is to use a tool like “Snag it” or PrtSc (Print Screen) to take a snapshot of the data table and then save it in the format you want, for example, jpeg, gif or other.

Can you describe for me why you want an image of your data table?

As for being able to automate this process I will need some time to investigate...

11. Emily
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

I am unable to save all my graphs as a JMP report. I have a data table of about 700 records, and I have generated 3 Bivariate Fit (Fit Y by X) graphs based on the 3 study areas. I have changed the formatting the way I want it for a paper, etc, and would like to save everything so that I do not have to keep regenerating and reformatting the graphs. But when I choose "Save As" to save the JMP report, it only saves 1 of my graphs, and the data table that I embed with it, only saves the data for 1 of the study areas---it deletes everything else!

I have tried "Select All", I have ensured that either all the rows in my JMP table are selected, or none at all before saving the JMP report. Still, only 1 graph and only the rows of data for the 1 study area are saved. I have tried Edit>Select All in the Fit Y by X graphs menu options, but still only 1 graph and corresponding data are saved. I don't understand why this is is occurring??

I am using JMP Pro 10. I have managed to save these 3 graphs in other JRP files, but for some reason it does not work for me now. Perhaps an update or change in this newer version?

Any help or advice would be great!

12. Nicole
    Posted December 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks! This helped me so much!!!

13. Ben